On 02/03/2017 07:25 AM, TJoseph Powderly wrote:
> very nice idea, bore & thread with 1 tool
> but i _thought_
> "this puts a lot of work on the lead edge, and the circular
> interpolation avoided that"
> but then i read that it was meant for non-ferrous materials
> so no heart attack
> until
> i read the price... 62Euro!?

Oh, I missed the part about the boring.  I didn't take the
time to puzzle through the German text.

I'm sure I paid the equivalent of about 62 Euro for my Micro
100 single-row thread mill.  And, I have not gotten my money
out of it, yet.  It is slow, but for a piece that is hard to
fit or locate in the lathe, and you have no tap for that
combination of diameter and thread pitch, there's no other
way to do it.  So, I'm happy to have it.

I'm a bit skeptical about plunging a spindly little 62 Euro
tool into a chunk of material at the thread pitch feedrate.
I know how that works out on $8 combo drill-taps.
(snap-crunch).  I do love the combo drill taps, though, for
spotting-drilling-tapping thinner materials with one tool.
It does take a spindle reversal at the bottom, but that is
no big deal.
I generally drill at 1000 RPM and feed of 3 IPM until the
tip breaks through, then back up and engage the G33.1 cycle
to thread the hole. Just a couple seconds per hole.

Jon