On Monday 20 February 2017 04:54:42 Marshland Engineering wrote:

> Bought a Samsung Smart TV and really regretted it. Keeps updating
> itself and changes the icons etc etc. 'Support' from India and almost
> all requests end in a "do a system reset" Oh yeah.   No keyboard works
> properly and you have to fart around with the arrows on the remote to
> type things in. Bought a new low end Computer and a Hauppauge TV tuner
> card. What a difference. I actually enjoy watching TV now. All my
> Internet stuff and Live TV without any hiccups. Scheduler and TV guide
> all works fine. PS get a dual tuber card so it doesn't flick you off
> once a recorded program boots in (which the Samsung does).
>
> Cheers Wallace

Good info, thanks.  The Samsungs I have 2 of do not have an rj-45, only a
usb-2 for a service port and TBT, any tv that can phone home for
anything but a firmware update is off the table. I do know how to run
wireshark.

Samsungs have been good, I bought two smaller ones when we converted in
2008, and one still works great in my bedroom, but the other killed its
tuner, so its on a vga cable on the G0704. The CCFL backlights are
getting slow, but thats fixable, 2 caps in the PSU, and it will be as
good as new.