On 02/22/2017 07:39 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Are in fact 60mm's in diameter, which as another poster said is near
> ideal. They must be some sort of a magnetic device internally as the
> detenting is done by the cogging of something magnetic with very little
> actual friction. Finer resolution and many times the quality of the
> Panasonic dials I've lifted from old editing controllers.  Well worth
> the sheckels IMO.
>
> Question, since I've yet to cable one up to test it, what with the wife
> here and needing more of my attention now, how does "motion" handle the
> accumulated cranking these can accumulate in their encoder modules when
> the machine is being homed/rehomed?

Not sure what you are asking.  There is a possibility to
"overrun" the axis velocity limit and have it continue to
move when you stop cranking.  If you quickly crank back you
can stop the axis.  Once you have experienced this, you
learn how fast to crank.  I have the hal files set up to
require a button being pushed to enable the encoder to drive
the axis.  So, cranking the dial when the button is NOT
pushed has NO effect.  I think this is a lot safer, as I
have bumped the dial many times when setting up, and am glad
it did not cause machine movement.  See the file :
configs/by_interface/pico/univpwmv/pendant.hal

These encoders will give 400 counts/rev in quadrature, so
there are some scale factors to make the dial graduations
come out right. That file doesn't have the extra lines to
control spindle override and feedrate override, which I now
have.  Also, the ilowpass is a custom component that smooths
the integer encoder counts so it doesn't buzz the servos.

Jon