> Is anyone else doing 5-axis machining with genserkins?

Not exactly machining... but I'm building a 3D printed stepper driven
6-axis robot arm. So I hope that I'm going to need genserkins soon.

The AB behavior you describe (if I get it correct) might make some sense.
When you rotate the whole arm and AB angles remain the same in the world
coordinates (that's what you want), the wrist tends to twist impossibly. So
probably this behavior is designed on purpose.

I think genserkins can be tweaked to use world AB coordinates.

Best regards,
Andrew