I think I would put at least two small holes in the face during 2).
I might even add an operation at the end to put a small hole in an
advantageous location depending on the application and tooling available.
This would give you features to align/check whenever you desired.
It has been my experience keys do not give long term accurate location
repeatability.
Keys align components close enough for some operations.
High accurate machining requires verification of positioning of even keyed
components.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:02 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have a part with a large bore through the middle, how do you
> set up to machine a hole exactly perpendicular to the axis of that
> bore?
>
> I imagine that this is quite a common problem, so must have a common
> solution?
>
> My particular setup puzzle is analagous to this, except that I will be
> using the horizontal spindle.
>
> Machining this casting: https://goo.gl/photos/6QhNnqjzRuSJJpva7
>
> The order of operations will be, starting with the raw casting:
> 1) with the large flat face clamped down to the table machine the base
> flat.
> 2) Now clamp the base to the table, face off the large flat face and
> machine the large bore.
> 3) Return to the original setup and machine a key-slot in the base
> _exactly_ on the axis of the large bore.
>
> 3) is the problem. I can indicate the base to make sure that is
> perpendicular to the spindle axis, but how do I make sure that the
> bore axis and the spindle axis intersect?
>
> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1916

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.