On Thursday 30 March 2017 07:02:14 andy pugh wrote:

> If you have a part with a large bore through the middle, how do you
> set up to machine a hole exactly perpendicular to the axis of that
> bore?

Similar problem with this taperlock hub I've made, it could tip enough
that the shaft it rides on, could not go thru. I wound up leaving it
loose from the pulley, and with the shaft in place, drove it with a
hammer until it was both aligned with the shaft, and tightly enough held
by the taper wedge, that I have now bored the 3 jacking it apart holes
without it moving. The shaft is a drop all the way thru fit now.

So if the shaft is available, mounting a dial indicator and scanning the
shaft would show any leaning. I don't quickly visualize another way
although the hole could be scanned with a dial. That would also check
head tram, but I like to do that with a longer baseline.

What I did find was that the G0704's head was out of tram so a drill,
shorter than my find center probe, was drilling left of the "target
circle". I have adjusted that a wee bit.

The largest force it will need to stay wedged is probably the rigid
tapping of those holes with a 5mm.8 tap.  So I'll probably do that last.

Humm, sitting here, visualizing this, I just realized that its sitting on
a table slot, and I could put a third bolt down thru the 7/8" central
hole, with the right sized washer, pull in firmly into the taper. That
should prevent any slippage while doing the rest of the machining,

What I need next is an electrical pad to serve as a touchoff point since
there will be at least 4 tool changes in this to finish it. 6 operations
with the tap drill, 3 with the clearance drill, 3 with a 1/8" mill to
counterbore for much of the cap screws head, and 6 with the tap.

> I imagine that this is quite a common problem, so must have a common
> solution?

Each of us probably has his own method of checking that, so the rest of
the list should describe their methods of dealing with a similar
problem.

> My particular setup puzzle is analagous to this, except that I will be
> using the horizontal spindle.
>
> Machining this casting: https://goo.gl/photos/6QhNnqjzRuSJJpva7
>
> The order of operations will be, starting with the raw casting:
> 1) with the large flat face clamped down to the table machine the base
> flat.

> 2) Now clamp the base to the table, face off the large flat face
> and machine the large bore.

> 3) Return to the original setup and machine a key-slot in the base
> _exactly_ on the axis of the large bore.
>
> 3) is the problem. I can indicate the base to make sure that is
> perpendicular to the spindle axis, but how do I make sure that the
> bore axis and the spindle axis intersect?

OIC, you want to key this into the table so the axis is aligned with the
table slots and  dead level.

And the error source is the faceing of the base  with the raw front face
as the first operation.

I wouldn't face the base or the face clean in one pass, just enough to
sit flat w/o rocking. Do both faces, the do again since its now square
to itself, this time faceing clean. Whatever you clean off the base can
be compensated by the holes center height, making sure it is exactly the
same as the other end.

That takes care of the up-down aiming errors. What remains would be the
holes center height differences from end to end. Measuring and zeroing
for the hole center by using the base as reference, should get the
correct height.

The problem then is reduced to machining the key slot exactly on axis
with the table, locating that bore axis exactly (left/right) on the
table axis

I would mount the shaft in the hole, or make something that fits snugly,
and could serve as something to indicate for verticality.  Or if your
dial will fit in the hole, indicate the hole.  Then indicate and shim
with a feeler gage leaf under one edge or the other until that error is
gone, then cut the bases key slot. The alignment should be pretty good.

But note Key word "should" Andy.  And I'd make that key "press fit" fat,
as that should, by eliminating the usual easy fit slop, pretty well fix
the lateral alignment.

Good luck Andy. I find makeing my own such tools much more satisfying
than finding something that might work and dropping card numbers to make
it mine. Too often it doesn't fit exactly, but its still yours, and your
balance is still lowered at the bank.