Andy's inquiry about 3D printers a bit over a month ago reinvigorated my
interest in 3D printing.  I had a couple of Hadron Ordbot 3D printers
that I started building from parts a few years ago but never quite
finished.  I did a little bit of online research and bought a Qidi Tech
1 3D printer on Amazon for just under US$700.  It's basically a Chinese
clone of a FlashForge Creator Pro, which is a copy of a Makerbot
Replicator 2X (I think).  To answer the earlier question, it has a USB
port and if I get the permissions correct it should be able to print
directly from Linux via USB.  I need to get that working.  So far, I
haven't even tried.  I just swap SD cards to print my files.

I usually write my own G code for my simple CNC machining, but that
wasn't going to work for 3D printing, and I had been interested in
developing some parametric CAD skills.  Autodesk duped me a long time
ago the AutoSketch forced upgrade to AutoCAD Lite, with a subsequent
forced upgrade to AutoCAD which is when I bailed and lost all of my
proprietary CAD files.  So I haven't been eager to jump back on board
with that very enticing Fusion360 deal that looked to me like an
Autodesk attempt to recapture the market share they lost to Solidworks.
I believe once they wrestle the market back from Solidworks, they'll be
back to their proprietary software rental ways.  Also, I asked about
Linux support for Fusion360 on the Autodesk forum, given that they
already support Windows and Mac so they probably have cross platform
development tools that would make a port to Linux not too big a deal.
That was confirmed by the Autodesk representative who seemed almost
gleeful when telling me that there would be no Linux version of
Fusion360.  The reasoning was almost Balmer-Microsoft "Linux is cancer"
offensive.  I was told that Linux users won't pay for software.  I
explained that I spent $1200 for Eagle electronic CAD software back in
the 90s when that was real money, and I bought it specifically because
it was good software that natively ran on Linux.

Fortunately, FreeCAD has been improving a lot lately.  It still isn't
Solidworks or Fusion360, but I'm able to do serious work on it.  Install
the FreeCAD Daily release (currently version 0.17) for the latest and
greatest updates.  The stable version 0.16 is a bit outdated.  There
still isn't a good CAM solution for CNC machining, but work continues on
FreeCAM.  The weird thing is, there is a very nice looking Finite
Element Analysis module in FreeCAD.  Go figure.

There are good free open source slicers, but I paid US$150 for
Simplify3D.  It has a lot of features but it's still fairly easy to use,
and it's stable and not buggy.  I export an STL from FreeCAD and that's
the input to Simplify3D.  That's my entire 3D printing tool chain.

I'm on the cusp of producing 3D printed products to sell online (aka
"additive manufacturing" or "fused filament fabrication").  I ordered a
second Qidi Tech 1 printer on Amazon last night to support the start of
production, hopefully next week.  I can't help imagineering a design for
a 3D printer that's optimized for small scale manufacturing.  Fully
enclosed heated build environment for ABS printing.  Heated build
platform.  Configurable with up to 4 extruders that can be used for
printing four simultaneous items for faster throughput, or two
simultaneous items with two different materials (two colors, build
material and support material, or two different materials such as ABS
and polyurethane in the same part). The electronics and software are
largely off-the-shelf, although I'd use beefier discrete stepper motor
drivers and NEMA 23 steppers instead of the little stepper driver chips
with glue on heat sinks and NEMA 17 steppers for X, Y and Z axes.  Most
of the mechanical parts including the motion control hardware would be a
Misumi bill of materials.  But then I thought of my two partially built
3D printers and I bought another 3D printer.  :-/

I'm not sure I can convey just how cool it is to be able to design a
quick prototype to test a concept in a few minutes, have it print in 20
minutes while I'm reading email, and very quickly run through several
design iterations in an afternoon.  Even better, because I plan on 3D
printing the finished product, my prototypes are using the same
materials and methods I'll use in production so my prototypes are the
initial stage of the finished design.  I basically play with it until I
get what I want, developing a portion at a time, and when I'm satisfied,
array as many as will fit on the build plate and press print.  That is
SO cool.

I've been printing in ABS and flexible polyurethane.  Based on previous
experience with 3D printed objects, I expected fairly ugly and fragile
parts.  Nope!  There are some .2mm layers on my parts but they're even
and there are no strings or blobs.  The parts are incredibly strong!
Other than the slightly layered look, these parts seem functionally
equivalent to injection molded parts.  These are very structural parts.
3D printing technology (including the filament) has come a long way in
the last three years.  Expect a small explosion in 3D printed commercial
products soon.  It's too easy to CAD and print parts, the manufacturing
is almost completely unattended, and there are no setup charges for
molds or fixtures. It's also possible to 3D print parts that cannot be
manufactured any other way.

Even if you're not a small scale manufacturer, a 3D printer is a great
tool.  Suddenly, all of my projects are 3D printing projects. Why make
aluminum chips on the mill when I need a funky bracket, when I can CAD
the part in a few minutes and print it in ABS, usually while I sleep?
With a 3D printer, every morning is Christmas morning.  I go into my
office and the 3D printer is finished making my part.  The bed has
lowered and the LED light is gleaming off the new part.  It's as if the
3D printer is proudly saying, "Look what I made for you!"