On Friday 02 June 2017 17:29:24 Bertho Stultiens wrote:

> On 06/02/2017 01:46 AM, Bertho Stultiens wrote:
> > Problem 1:
> > The RPI3 has dynamic frequency scaling activated by default
> > (ondemand governor). This makes the Pi hop between 600MHz and 1.2GHz
> > core frequency. Very annoying and makes realtime rather
> > unpredictable.
>
> There are actually two lines that must be added to rc.local:
> echo -n 1200000 >
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq

Added also.

> echo -n performance >
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
>
> The first one forces to hop to 1.2GHz. The current cpu frequency,
> apparently, may otherwise hang onto the 600MHz value (in
> .../cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq).
>
> > Problem 2:
> > The SPI peripheral input frequency appears to be hopping between
> > 400MHz and about 250MHz. This probably originates somewhere in the
> > Linux kernel as the kernel is in charge of clock-generation.
>
> There may be an interaction with the power supply and the
> frequency-lock of one of the BCM283[567] PLLs.
>
> Several power-glitches caused the system to crash after I installed a
> full graphical desktop version. It turned out I was using a cheapo usb
> supply with bad regulation.
>
> The problems seem to stop now that I have attached a bench-PSU set to
> 5V directly on the 40-pin header's 5V input. I needed to increase the
> voltage to 5.1V after the red LED still was blinking once in a while
> (probably indicating too much noise on the power line with my long
> wires without decoupling capacitor on the end).
>
> It may be worth checking the actual 5V line for noise too.

5mv? 4 amp box, haven't had a problem.

Thanks Bertho.

One thing I've noted is that in one switch starts both the monitor and
the pi, the monitor isn't ready I assume to respond to an EDID query by
the time the pi issues it.  So I've had to pull the pi's power plug for
about 2 or 3 seconds mid-boot. Then plug in the teeny usb plug again,
and I get video on that reboot.

Is there quick and likely dirty way to make the pi wait 2 or 3 seconds
before loading things up?

Thank you Bertho.