On Friday 02 June 2017 21:50:13 Bertho Stultiens wrote:

> On 06/03/2017 03:36 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Has anybody done an implementation of affinity in linuxcnc already?
> >> If yes, how is it setup?
> >
> > On the x86 stuff, in years past, we used "isolcpus"=3 (or whatever
> > was the last core) as a kernel argument at kernel load time.
> >
> > On x86 stuff the cpu you have isolated is found and used
> > automatically, however the use cannot be detected by the various cpu
> > monitoring utilities such as htop.  I had originally set that up to
> > reserve core 3, on the 4 core pi, and on core 3 of the athlons I
> > don't know who corrected me, but it was said that was no longer a
> > useful item, so I took it back out of /boot/cmdline.txt and out of
> > some of the x86 machines too, but I see its still in as an =1 on the
> > two atom boards out in the shop.  The one I removed it from hasn't
> > indicated any unhappiness with that turn of events.
> >
> > Perhaps Sebastian or someone more familiar with it can shine a light
> > on us here? As in has it been deprecated on all arches. I still have
> > 2 D525MW's with it in effect. And htop cannot see any usage of cpu-1
> > on either of those 2 boxes.
>
> Yes, isolcpus=X is the way to do that. However, doing so means that
> the kernel never schedules anything on the core automatically. You
> must set the thread/process affinity in the running code, using a
> syscall, to move a specific thread/process onto that isolated core.
> Otherwise, it will be idle all the time.

When I awoke about sunup, I had a message from amanda. I gad left lcnc
running when I came in for the and the pi apparently crashed very
quickly when amanda tried to access it.

So when I ran down at restoring it today, with 8 wires yet to hook up
verify I have them right, and I'll be at the same place I was,
everything running nicely, the morning of May 2, but I shut lcnc down
before hitting the light switch and closing the garage door for the
night. On my feet a good share of the day, I'll pay for it in the night
with leg cramps. I'll take an extra big b12 pill, which sometimes helps
because metformin flushes b12 out into a big white bowl. :)

I did write the new image to a card, but have not had the time to go into
it, setting hostnames, hosts etc, yadda, yadda yet.  And killing
anything that can over-write /etc/resolv.conf thereby keeping my local
network running on the pi like it runs on everything else.

I did plug in that terabyte HD and had mc update the linuxcnc tree
already on that drive from a couple weeks ago, and its still plugged in.

And I'm bushed, but progress has been made.  Curious, before I quit, I
fired up the scope and looked at everything I had hooked up the last 3
days, and was amazed!  Whereas the old lashup was attacking the 7i90
with switching noises up in the 90+ mhz range, at peak voltages of 30+
volts before it hit any wire by wire filtering I'd been building, if
there is any noise there now, its well under 50 millivolts and I can't
see it on the analog scope at all. This was with the vfd up and running,
spinning the chuck at about 225 rpms.  And yet every cable I am hooking
up is coming into the bottom of the motor drivers box, thru it just as
before. The cpu/controller box is insulated from the power box, and only
connected to the single point ground by one braided strap, which I had
to cover with shrink tubing because it was touching the spinx1 which I'd
remounted on the inside of the door.  Didn't blow anything but the vfd
was going crazy when I moved the boxes door, which now has the pi &
controller box on the outside of the door.

Thanks Bertho, a lot.