On 06/04/2017 09:13 PM, tom-...@bgp.nu wrote:
This is a G76 canned cycle and I usually enter 1 (sometimes 2) spring passes.
The spring pass(es) take no material so this isn’t a deflection problem.

My theoretical thread depth was 0.0255.  I ended up needing to set it to
0.0280, but once set it cuts correctly and repeatably.

I thought it was interesting that 0.0280 - 0.0255 is .0025.  .0025 is extremely
close the distance between a 0.06mm radius tool and the imaginary tip of that
tool ((0.00236 to be precise) ….Coincidence?

I might not be understanding the geometry. BUT, if you are using calculations based on a sharply-pointed tool tip, and then touch off a truncated tool to the material, you will end up with an undersize external thread. This is because you are zeroing the tool's thread-cutting flanks too close to the work. So, you have to compensate for the truncated tool tip. If you want to touch off the tool tip, or cut and measure a diameter with the tool tip, then set the zero smaller than the measured work by the amount the tip is truncated (all in radius measure.)

Jon