On Monday 05 June 2017 05:30:10 andy pugh wrote:

> On 5 June 2017 at 02:22, <tom-...@bgp.nu> wrote:
> > Currently I do that by cutting a diameter with the threading tool.
> > I measure that with a micrometer and I enter the DRO value in the
> > tool touch off for that tool (I have a routine that leaves the tool
> > at the diameter after cutting so this works).  But I am wondering, I
> > don’t have a DIAMETER value in the tool table for the tool.  Should
> > I?  Is a zero (or non-existant) radius value causing Linuxcnc to
> > think the tool is longer than it really is when cutting?
>
> How do your numbers compare with line 502 of this spreadsheet?
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m5zkO9-SbQaYWbTPlQXJ2VA73Ys8Wg
>WDrPk_rEukHc0/edit?ts=57064122#gid=0
>
> (This is a version of the table I complied 20 years or so ago, but
> modified to include the effects of crest and root flattening/rounding)
>
> The DXF file of the inserts shows a 0.05mm radius, whereas as the
> web-page table shows 0.06mm. In either case the tip is rounded, not
> flat.
>
> You might consider drawing the thread in CAD, with the exact profile
> for the thread and grade required, and then fit an exact drawing of
> the insert into it. That might answer the question of how to touch-off
> and what to.
>
> It is an interesting puzzle, and I am another who will admit to
> "creeping up" on one-off threads.

Even the "creep up" can lead to fit problems. I cannot buy an insert
truely suitable for cutting a 50 TPI thread, all are tip profiled for
much coarser threads, and rarely is the tip profile correct for a thread
3x finer than a 16 to 20 TPI thread.  So the nuts I might make for a 50
TPI thread, I expect to have to drive with spanners, well lubed, as
they'll need to round off the sharper tips of each the first time
assembled.  Yet 3 trips later, they'll need some thread-locker magic to
stay put.  Neither actually has a full bodied width of tooth. Whats
needed is an HSS insert with a sharp tip that might be flattened about
half a red one on a wet rouge stone. Cheap enough to bin when its dull
w/o shedding a tear because the carbide version is so outragiously
priced.  The insert makers are not serving the market with what the
market needs.