I read and it mostly seems to be about security. Realtime scheduling make sense
for every task which is periodic or may be treated as a periodic task. A really
good example is a serial receive buffer since data will be lost if not handled
periodically.

GUI I usually treat as periodic task with a dead time of about 20-50
milliseconds even though it seldoms happens. Video I guess is about 30-50
milliseconds. Servo loop is around 1 milliseconds and even though little
computational power is required ordinary computer seems to have problem with
this.

They mention something about support for a real time operating system and for
linuxcnc the kernel RT patch is used or RTAI. On a micro controller I most
often use an interrupt with suitable priority, software is most often simple
with only a few well known interrupts so most often it works really well.

The most useful scheduling schemes are Earliest Dead Line first
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earliest_deadline_first_scheduling and for static
priority rate monotonic which may be implemented with nested interrupts with
priority https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate-monoton_schemal%C3%A4ggning

Dead line should be equal to periodic which most often is possible. For video
with a dubble buffer, for serial receive buffer interrupt is triggered then
buffer is half full, ... It is commmon to talk about jitter which make som
sense but for properly implented EDF or rate monotonic scheduling jitter within
period make no difference.

Here http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/html/code/Code_Notes.html at "4. Architecture
overview" is probably what you need to understand how the different parts of
linuxcnc is put together. The real time part I want to put on simple computer
and the GUI on an ordinary computer since they are readily available cheap.
There are two advantages: I want to keep real time communication local and
remove real time demand from ordinary computer.

Regards Nicklas Karlsson