On 08/01/2017 12:41 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
I rescued (loosely applied term) this compressor as it was being loaded on a neighbor's truck on its way to the dump:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Sears_Compressor2/

It seems to be in decent shape except the cylinder bores. The plan is to re-sleeve the bores using:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391601872464
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Sears_Compressor2/IMG_1949-1a.jpg http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Sears_Compressor2/IMG_1950-1a.jpg

It looks like I can get two four inch long sleeves from the 8.25" long sleeve(use csl485 with 'find'):
http://www.mellingcylindersleeves.com/Portals/8/pdf_catalog/cylinder_catalog.pdf

My first thought is to set up a boring bar and do a straight plunge in Z until I get the bore size that I want, but then again I have a CNC and I'm wondering if it would be better to use an end mill or fly cutter and do a helical path in Z instead? The plan is to hone to the final size for the sleeve, set the sleeve (with dry ice), and hone the sleeve to the final 2.7500" ID.

Has anyone tried helical boring for piston bores?

First question is: What machinery do you have to work on this?

        Vertical mill?
            Boring head?
                What size head?

    Lathe with four jaw?