Greetings everybody;

One of the things I have noted recently was a correlation between the
thread fit, and a commercial bolt screwed into the hole, and I believe
it has to do with my use of a peck routine to do the tapping, more
pecks=sloppier fit.

My spindle doesn't have enough power to drive a 10mm tap in one pass, nor
do I feel comfortable when the gullets of the tap get filled, so I peck
at it so I can clean and add a drop or 2 of buttercutt or rapidtap as I
program a 3 to 4 second pause at the top of the travel to give me time
to do that.

Doing some 8mm holes in 3" pipe walls, I drove it about as hard as the
spindle could manage to keep turning, so I drove it deep enough into the
hole per pass that it only took 6 passes to get the last of the taps
taper out of the bottom of the hole.

The backlash fly in this soup is the filter I've put in the encoder path
to average the  level of the last 4 edges out of the encoder, which
works well for that and allows lots more Pgain to be used. That
represents a fixed number of spindle degrees of lag, which of course
causes the rigid tap to not follow the z motion perfectly.

I have considered adding additional backlash comp, but the required
amount would change with the tpi, so while that would help, its not a
perfect fix since there is not a way to change it dynamically.

I could take the filter out, but I'd have to reduce Pgain by at least 75%
just to keep it from hammering the gears in the head from the perceived
errors in the velocity signal caused by a 5% quadrature timing error
wobble in a 4 step repeatable sequence.

This is not an error the PID's can even see, let alone try to correct.

Is it time to junk the optical encoder, and install a thin steel gear in
its place, and machine some sliding mounts for at least two of the 3
ats667's so that finer adjustments to reduce the quadrature noise can be
done? I have bent and otherwise adjusted the opto-interrupters until
there is no further improvements to be had.

In which case, where might I be able to source a 30-60 tooth gear that is
precisely enough made, is not more than 2.25" in diameter, and only
1/16" thick?

The current optical setup gives me 268 edges per rev. 67 slots in the
disk. Mechanical errors in carving the disk would be reduced
percentagewise by applying the error to fewer slots, but that seems
counter-productive for rigid tapping.

What say you folks?

Thanks all.