On Tuesday 01 August 2017 23:26:31 Ken Strauss wrote:

> Have you considered using a larger tap drill? A lesser thread depth
> makes a huge reduction in the required tapping torque without
> significantly reducing the holding power. Some references
> (http://www.tapmatic.com/tapping_questions_torque_vs_thread_strength.y
>dev for example) show that a 50% thread requires less than 30% of the
> torque needed to cut a 75% thread.

I think I was shooting for an 85+% thread because the bolts are brass and
the engagement is only 2.5 to 3 threads deep in that pipe wall. In this
case I hit it pretty close as the end of the bolt was an interference
fit since it was  bigger as it got further from the chuck jaws. Next
time I may try to use the G33 because one can make a compensating taper
with it, but not the leadin or out while maintaining thread synch. G76
needs to be able to taper the drive line. But I haven't found a way to
achieve that.  Best I could do with a G33 would be a g0 speed backout at
the end, but it wouldn't be a synchronized backout. I may see if thats a
suitable solution next time I need to make such bolts. That may be the
guard screws, which are 1/4" steel, but not 28 tpi, the darned things
are 30 tpi!  If I decide to get one of the Boyds VT stocks, I'll take
advantage of the flat belly and redo the front of the
floor-plate/trigger guard by removing the OEM steel under it welded up
to be flat face now. A couple ounces of welded up steel the was added to
flatten it, removing the OEM belly bump, welding some flaws to fill them
in, and remachining it dead flat and possibly a bit narrower before I
start putting it to bed in the new wood. In either event, its pillar
bedded now, and will be when I am done.

But this is nice to know the next time I tap for steel bolts, thanks Ken.