On 10/07/2017 12:38 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:

Enter the MachineKit LinuxCNC port and in some ways I feel like I've stepped
back into the dark ages.  Simple things like how do I see if a limit switch
is closing or not.
Use Hal Configure, or HalMeter to just see one at a time. You can add these to the PyVCP virtual control panel while setting up.
   There doesn't seem to be a screen with hardware
interface.  Etc.
I can see in the .ini file where I can set max override but not max jog
speed.  I'd like to be able to output max step rate and verify that
everything else is working.
The maximum speed is in the [TRAJ] section of the .ini file, MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY
The jog speed slider cannot be set above that.
So is MachineKit just an interesting exercise for the College or University
level? To show CNC can be done with a 1GHz 32 bit ARM?  That the real
solution is LinuxCNC on a 1GHz PC (or faster) with an external controller
that can be set up with the Stepping Configuration program?
Machinekit is almost identical at the user's level to LinuxCNC. That includes what you can see in HAL. The GUI is a bit sluggish on the ARM CPU, but it is tolerable. You do have a wider selection of motion hardware interfaces on a PC. The PRU stepping scheme on the Beagle Bone is nearly as good as
external hardware step generators.

Jon