On Sunday 08 October 2017 00:02:09 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Thanks Jon,
> After having used steppers for so long seeing one of the .nc sample
> files move the servo in such a silky smooth motion is really sweet. I
> did manage to get everything working and not only timed a 120ipm jog
> but the pulley actually turned the correct distance too.
>
> I'm guessing the value 2.0 for MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY is then a value in
> ips which would be 120ipm.  So if I want 180 I'd set it to 3.  I'll
> try it.  The Beagle is supposed to be able to keep up easily at 50kHz.
>  I went for rather course resolution encoders on the servos at 250
> lines per rev so max is 1000 steps per rev.
> . . .  just a sec . . .
> Super!  Default Jog still set at 2.0 and now max linear velocity is
> 3.0 which gives me 180 ipm.
> 1000 pulses/rev x 3:1 pulley ratio x 5 tpi on the lead screw = 15,000
> steps per inch and so 3 ips is 45,000 Hz.
> Easy for the Beagle.  Nice and smooth on the motor.
>
> What fun!
>
> From a user interface perspective though,  I'm wondering if all the
> wizards that are in MACH3 will win me over.   Even just setting up a
> touch plate for tool height is trivial in MACH but seems difficult in
> MachineKit (LinuxCNC too?)  Yet it looks like Tormach went LinuxCNC so
> perhaps like in MACH there are outside parties making the equivalent
> of wizards?
>
> John

A temporary touch plate is a piece of pcb material with a wire soldered
to the top face and connected to an interface breakout pin. Stick it
down someplace with a half a drop of superglue, and when that operation
is done, rip it off & hang it on a peg till the next time you need it.
Wire that pin up to motion.probe-in in the hal file and a line or 8 of
gcode (G38.2 usually), done. Then you don't worry about the TLO in the
tool table.  None of my TTS toolholders have a permanently assigned and
calibrated tool in them as I'd have to buy another $300+ dollars worth
of the Chinese versions to do that. I am so used to writing my own gcode
that I don't normally use more than the arc calculator. I'm fairly
familiar with loop and subroutine constructs, and have written 90 line
programs that might take 3 days to run. The one time I looked at Mach,
it would have taken me 3x as long to become "productive" using it.  Of
course for me, productivity isn't relative as 90% of what I do is one
offs for my own use anyway.

The outside parties making wizards aren't outsiders, but generally,
members of this list and often authors of some of LinuxCNC itself. I
only know of two other lists I am on where that is the case, most lists
are users only and the lists seem to be an insulating wall between the
authors and the users. Here we have some extremely talented people.  And
I thank them everytime I make some swarf.

My $0.02.