On 13 October 2017 at 08:20, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

> There's no reason to not have an XML file (or larger database for that
> matter) that includes min/max/default values along with several strings for
> help information.

Who will maintain this XML file? PnCConf uses XML files to store the
possible configurations for each card. The author ended up with an
almost full-time job keeping the data up-to-date and that was just for
one configuration wizard. Think in terms of 10 cards each of which can
run 25 different firmwares and can be assembled in a wide variety of
configurations. Even then it can never be complete, as both users and
Mesa make occasional custom firmware files for specific machines.
You seem to be suggesting that "someone" multiply this problem N-fold
by making a database not only of all the Mesa cards, but also every
other hardware interface, every HAL component and the remainder of
LinuxCNC.
Then bear in mind that only very few of the INI file entries are
accessed by name explicitly. Most are accessed from the HAL file
(another integrator-owned rather than developer-owned file) and
integrators are quite likely to want to use INI file entry names that
make sense in their native language.

> Anyway, this isn't path pilot so I've changed the subject back to MachineKit
> on the BeagleBone because if I understand some of the other postings
> correctly, none of these issues exist on the full blown PCs running Linux
> with mesa interface cards.

On the contrary, the situation is _exactly_ the same regardless of
hardware or platform.
However the amount of work required to find a solution to your
perceived problem is (in my opinion) out of proportion to the benefit,
especially considering that it would almost certainly never really
work properly.

Also bear in mind that system config is a one-time thing for most
machines. Once you are making parts you should never need to look at
the config files again.

Also, FWIW, I use Mac computers extensively. I am a fan of GUIs and
point-and-click. But: there are config files there too. Setting up
auto-mounting NFS file shares, for example, involves editing the fstab
files.

On a practical note, it seems reasonable to assume that the active
LinuxCNC developers are already spending all the time that they can
spare on the project. None of them are likely to want to take on this
task. Unless you are volunteering (and bear in mind that the
maintenance of your XML database is likely to be a job-for-life) then
it simply isn't going to happen.

--
atp
lunatics."