> > I have been thinking about FPGA for a communication switch, it would be
> > possible to get perfect timings. Then ordinary micro controllers could be
> > used for implementing the hardware, the approach is similar to the new
> > devices with so called Cortex-M-* PRUs but by using SPI, UART or maybe CAN
> > it is possible to build more modular and add an insulation barrier.
> >
> > The new devices with PRU may be a cheaaper solution for machines built in
> > very large series. A modular architecture there different special hardware
> > drivers could be combined is a better solution then building a lot of
> > different mashines.
> >

> The Cortex M Costs about $1 or some of them even less.  You can buy a
> complete system on a PCB with connectors.  For under $3 shipping included.
>   If you need to make something like a switch or control a few motors these
> work well.  I have several of them.  I am using them for motion controller.

Yes I know it very well and also have a few of them.

> In terms of "compute power"  They are an order of magnitude above an
> Arduino.  But not even close to a Pi 3 or BBB.

This is good enough for one motor probably with plenty margin.

> I'm using one of the boards liked to below to control two motors using
> PID.  I have two PIP loops running and the optical encoder is sending about
> 11,000 interrupts per second for each motor.   I run the PIP loops and get
> commands over a serial ...

Similar as I do.

> I would not go with an FPGA unless you need very high speed where signals
> are in the teen's of megahertz at least, up to GHz.   The FPGA is much
> harder to program them an ARM Cortex-M.
>
> If I were building a machine tool controller from scratch I'd run much of
> it on a small computer under Linux then I'd get as many of these Cortex-M
> chips as required.  Each could handle between 2 and 6 axis.

There I am heading. The FPGA could give me as many serial communication ports
as needed with perfect communication period. Second option is to add a Ethercat
slave device on each device.

Regards Nicklas Karlsson