I don't think you are saving time or money using old hardware.
What about this?   $70.
The J1900 CPUs are known to work well with LinuxCNC.
If you search the list I think you will see several references to them.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497
I have a server running a J1900 with Ubuntu 12 LTS and it installed with zero issues.  Its been running for a few years now.
There is a reason why old PCs go cheap..
I would use a Pico power supply with it and a small SSD.   I have found the PICO power supplies (the real ones, not the clones)  to be more reliable than conventional power supplies. I can get 2-3 years out of conventional power supplies when run 24x7, but I have yet to have a failure with a Pico and I have installed several over the last 5+ years.   I don't know why.

Dave