I use the suggestion and indication from linuxcnc forum:

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/22346-ethercat-hal-driver

about SOEM, The basic implement is not realtime .... so is ok for user
command, not so for drive command. Any how my decision is not utilize
ethernet bus for drive position/velocity/torque command. Mesa analogue
signal and feedback encoder on mesa card are too easy and precise signals
to use to go for alternative methods that usually do not give such good
performances. Keep in mind that realtime on ethercat is not a universal
value ... commercially there are devices that go under 1 ms but others that
arrive up to 10-20ms .... for example kunbus has made devices on pi3 with
ethercat and more, but with a realtime of 5ms.

I have made the opinion that bus-rt on ethernet are very nice, but they
will really be useful only in some have. in the meantime it is best to play
on to be ready and wait. If you would use it for data comm between some
device or for connect some device without problem of 5-10ms response time
all work fine. I could not recommend any ethercat for professional use as a
result of my experiences. But I'm sure many others have taken advantage of
it.

Last but no least, there is also the security issue. Here in Europe
ethernet-ip and secure signals do not agree much for example. In addition,
many drive manufacturers do not have safety over ethercat even if they have
the bus.

regards
bkt