Hi Gene,

I have used Calibre process a LOT of ebooks and the only books it has failed on are scanned pdfs, ones with DRM and occasional corrupted files. It most definitely will open epub and I generally use it to convert whatever format the book comes in to epub. I have to admit it's conversion of pdf to other formats isn't great but very few packages do a good job of that.

I don't know why it wouldn't see the epub when you tried opening it. Try dragging a file out of a file manager and dropping it into calibre. I often do that.

Les

The ebooks I have bought, have cost me over $50 so far, and the distros
versions of calibre have yet to read even one of them.  So pardon me
for being skeptical while quoting the whole transaction above.

But thanks for the link(s)

The calibre I currently have installed, version unk because it doesn't
have such a critter in its about or help screens, reads a pdf just fine,
but does not even show an e-pub thats present in the same directory.
And it cannot the pdf on deat tree from the pdf w/o a huge waste of
paper and ink, apparently totally ignoring what the printer says it can
do.

FWIW I have 2, one being a cheap very fast brother b&w laser, letter
size paper only, and a MFCJ6920DW brother ink squirter, slow, but can
do up to 11x17 duplex.

So obviously I don't use it, evince or okular both work far better. Works
great on rockhopper output run thru ps2poster though.