On 01/08/2018 11:58 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

It should say down at the bottom of the Calibre main window.  Mine
says Calibre 3.12 created by Kovid Goyal.

This one say 0.8.51, obviously a debian assigned number.

That version is incredibly ancient.  That's pretty much a beta version and close to 10 years old.  Have you tried to get a newer version through the software manager?

I am glad it works for you Mark, but it doesn't work here as
anything but a pretty face pdf /only/ viewer.
Can't help with a broken OS install.  What OS and version are you
running?
The 32 bit wheezy lcnc install.

I've got it on a 10.04 LTS lcnc install and it works just fine. Must be something you've done with that machine that breaks it. Which wheezy?  Ubuntu or Debian?  The Ubuntu version is 12.04 and I had it on a desktop and Calibre worked just fine with that version. My guess is your tinkering with the system broke something that's keeping you from installing the latest version.  I've never had any of the problems with most of the software your machine seems to have issues with.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

Mark