On Thursday 12 April 2018 14:25:53 Kenneth Lerman wrote:

> Hey Gene,
>
> Wouldn't a square R-8 collet make things simpler? Something like this?
> <https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/R8-INCH-Square-Collets-4101>

I did find those on a google search quite some time back, but at $40 a
copy, that blows my SS income plumb out of the water. I've around 52 of
these tap hats half made out of that much in 7/8" brass rod. The rest is
all jigging and my time.  These can all be committed to the tool table
as they are finished.

Right now, I am in the middle of making a custom drill to plant
legderlock screws in the sides of some short 4x4's to hold a safety rail
next to the wheel chair ramp I've put in the front deck. The cast iron
bitch part of that is that the 4x4 is treated, meaning the wood is soggy
and takes really sharp bits, sticking to the tooling something awful,
and I'm working with TSC's 3/4" cold roll. Probably will need the edges
touched up at least once per hole. Working against the limited good
weather, so I was beat to hell last night, had to eat tums like m&m's
and put heat pads on my legs, and likely again tonight. I don't
recommend getting old, avoid it if you can.

Pass #1 at makeing a 3 flute drill went to hell when my rotary decided to
not return to zero reliably. So I've added another 200 ns to the step
timings to see if that helps since this driver is an m542 with unk step
timing requirements. Cutting air only until this is found & fixed.
2m542's are at least twice as fast in the opto's dept.  Sigh.  And this
code is slow so hitting the problem is usually while in the house in
search of more coffee after being bored out of my skull for 45 minutes
sitting there watching it not make a mistake.

Newer taint always better.

Thanks Kenneth.