On Thursday 12 April 2018 23:25:16 Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]
> Pass #1 at makeing a 3 flute drill went to hell when my rotary decided
> to not return to zero reliably. So I've added another 200 ns to the
> step timings to see if that helps since this driver is an m542 with
> unk step timing requirements. Cutting air only until this is found &
> fixed. 2m542's are at least twice as fast in the opto's dept.  Sigh.
> And this code is slow so hitting the problem is usually while in the
> house in search of more coffee after being bored out of my skull for
> 45 minutes sitting there watching it not make a mistake.
>
> Newer taint always better.
>
> Thanks Kenneth.

I found that problem, the push of the cutting tool was into the face of
the table, locking up the table as soon as the tool touched the
workpiece, trying to dig a .25mm spiral trench.

I reduced the step depth, add a K to the spindle speed, and already
having an air hose machined to allow air pressure to lift the table
free, and using my air brush regulator, put about 30 psi into the table.
Works a treat, but sure  put a hot odor on that cheap air compressor.

3 hours later I had a simulated 3 flute 3/4" drill bit about 2.5" long,
and I've inserted a just under 1/4" pilot drill in the sharpened end,
ran a 17/64ths drill into the back end about 7/8" and tapped it for
5/16-UNC, then cut the head off a 4" 5/16 bolt, screwed it into that
tapped hole so I had something to grab in a drill chuck, inserted a
15/64" drill into the sharpened end, and filled it up with green thread
locker, where its  sitting for the night curing.

I'll drill the 4x4 with an 18" 1/4" drill, aiming it to come out the far
side of the 4x4 about 9" up the side, then I use the 15/64's as a pilot
to drill down from where it came out with this 3/4 monster until I have
about a 1.6" of a 5" ledgerlock bolt sticking out. If it will stay sharp
long enough to drill one hole, I can have a post ready to glue in place
in 2 hours a post.  2 to go.

Thats what I'm planning on anyway. Something about mice & men?