Not sure if this will be a useful response, but in the interest of not omitting an option....

I write my G code manually.  This gives me the ultimate control over the process.  CAD and CAM are both very mature now, but I still prefer to write the programs myself.  This wouldn't be an option for someone doing a lot of job shop work, with the need to input customers' CAD files or quickly create a CAD file from a concept sketch and then quickly spit out the G code using a CAM program, but I'm not running a job shop and I don't do much one-off work.  My methods also wouldn't work for mold makers, but my parts are usually fairly simple 2.5D parts.  I write G code that is used for ongoing production.  The same programs are run daily.  The time required to write the programs isn't much when amortized over the life of the program.

Writing the G code is almost incidental to designing the parts.  It feels like I'm writing G code in the background as I'm designing the various parts of a machined project.  The design and development is what takes time.  I doubt I'd proceed any more quickly if the back end to the design process was CAD/CAM instead of typing G code.

I also save the time it takes to learn new CAD and CAM software, which is fairly significant.

I visualize the parts by previewing them in LinuxCNC as I write the G code.  The design process is very iterative and the G code runs on the production hardware, so tight fitting parts can be optimized as the program is written.  I get a better feel for the design process when I can tweak as I'm designing.  I avoid designing an entire project only to realize at the start of production that a part in the middle of the design process can't be made to work and the project needs to be redesigned.

For complex or repetitive coding, I'll use one of the python scripts or PyCam.  Andy's lathe macros would be a great choice if you wanted a conversational programming process for shop lathe work.

Writing G code is also a necessity when I make a custom production tool that's controlled by LinuxCNC.  There is no CAD or CAM that will generate G code to pick up a part on the spindle that's serving as a mandrel, move the spinning part across a pair of razor knife cutters to precisely trim the rubbery parts to length, then move the part to a U shaped fixture protrusion that is used to pull the parts off the spindle.

I use FreeCAD to design more complex 3D parts to be 3D printed. They're working on FreeCAM, and when that's ready for prime time (or near enough), I may use that open source tool chain to generate G code for LinuxCNC.  Until then, I'll continue to write the G code manually.  I always enjoyed RISC assembler programming for microcontrollers, for a lot of the same reasons I prefer to write my own G code.  Simple tools for simple minds, eh?

Many people now use Fusion360.  There was a very attractive introductory deal to lure people back away from SolidWorks and similar 3D parametric CAD programs that had been gobbling up market share.  I've witnessed these marketing driven software product cycles before.  Enough people have now switched to Fusion360 that the door is about to slam shut.  It won't be long before people are held hostage to the CAD files they created and they can be abused and exploited.  AutoDesk got me on that one before.  I'm not falling for it again, no matter how nice Fusion360 looks.