On Saturday 28 July 2018 20:13:20 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Quick question.  For a mill to move the tool bit from Point A to Point
> B the software parsing the G Code Xn.nnnYm.mmm determines how fast to
> accelerate and move each axis so a straight line is drawn between the
> starting and new end points.  Similarly, if an arc is programed the
> X,Y motion is including acceleration and deceleration to provide the
> timed step pulses to move the tool in that arc motion.
>
> So with a lathe, the Z is the carriage, X is the cross slide. Again a
> movement of Z with the idea of forming a taper means the Z and X are
> specified and the system takes care of accelerating and moving each
> axis the correct amount and speed so that a taper is cut.  For each
> pass you'd move the X in for the next depth of cut and then specify a
> relative move again. Spring passes without changing the X starting
> point.
>
> What happens if you want to simulate something like my SouthBend with
> the taper attachment where turning the carriage handwheel also moves
> the cross slide along the taper.
>
> With MachineKit or LinuxCNC, the JOG keys or MPG moves the carriage.
> Can the cross slide be programmed track the taper?  Is there a way to
> 'link' the jog buttons so that they track with a mathematical formula?
>  One could manually turn a ball end or some sort of other parabolic
> curve for example.
>
> Thanks
> John Dammeyer

Not too likely for doing it by hand John.  But in gcode, its a piece of
cake to do to micron accuracy, whether its a straight line from A to B
or even an arc, nurbs even if in the mood to cut a lot of air until
you've got the pattern you want. See the G5 stuff for self calculating
curves.

About the only way, and likely NOT repeatable, to do those sorts of
curves is to find a big, long 4 way analog joystick. And figure out how
to get its output into LCNC.

I have tried the usual usb "gamepad" like the Saitek, and have moved the
little mill with it, but when zero to full speed is a 3/16" button
motion, its simply uncontrollable.  With 3 or 4" extensions on the
buttons and lots of practice, you might get used to it eventually, but
broken tooling would still be a major expense while you were teaching
your muscles to do whats pictured in your mind.