That would make sense. Years ago, since my ELS has a spot for a CAN bus driver
chip, I wrote a CANopen module for it that treated it simply as a display and
keypad.

Supported simple PDO messages with message #'s rather than strings to keep bus
traffic to a minimum.  So if you want to display something like X Axis Position
on the first line and that was string #5 then you'd tell it to display string
#5 on line 1.  Line 2 might have the value and another string for units.  One
PDO with only 8 bytes could therefore fill a 4x20 line LCD display with
information.

Key presses also caused PDO messages with the appropriate codes.   I don't
remember if I accessed the MPG knob.  It would have to generate PDOs on change
and report absolute position.

Creating a driver for Linux CNC that operated as a separate task and ran with a
connection to the "localhost" plus  used CANopen messaging to access the
display/keypad could be done pretty easily.

Now if I only had the time.  Work-work just picked up this last week and looks
to be keeping me busy for a month so all the hobby stuff falls by the wayside
again.

John