On 7 August 2018 at 11:39, Bengt Sjölund <beng...@tecno.se> wrote:

> Looking for a g code generator for scroll jaws.
> I have a Ø125mm 3-jaw chuck with 6mm scroll pitch and would like to be able
> to mill my own soft jaws.

This sounds interesting, and harder than you might think.

At first I thought it was just a set of curves at various radii, and
to an extent it is, but the centre moves.
In fact the curves are not constant-radius, but are probably close
enough for practical purposes.

Also, each jaw is different. Whether you handle this in the G-code or
with an alternate workpiece placement is another question.

The parts are easy to model in CAD. It might actually be easier to do
it that way and then CAM.
<Google> Hmm, the parts are not trivial to model in CAD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYBiWhxgHTo

(You could model a scroll, then intersect it with the three jaw
sections, then CAM each seperately.)

In parametric G-code I would suggest that the answer is to start with
the nominal mid-point of each inner and outer thread flank
(separately)

Then calculate how far the two edges of the jaw offset from that
nominal mid-point....

No, wait, all this is utterly wrong!

Either of these approaches will lead to a jaw that is a perfect fit in
exactly one position and will bind in any other position.

The outer flanks want to be machined to be at least as small a radius
as the smallest part of the scroll that they can touch.
The inner flanks want to be the same radius as the absolute max of the
scroll radius.

I doubt that they are typically cut with any "slope" across the face.
They can only ever half line-contact with the scroll.

--
atp
lunatics."