On Tuesday 25 September 2018 09:30:53 andy pugh wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 12:48, Les Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>
wrote:
> > That assumes your tailstock is dead nuts on. If not you're going to
> > be trying to compensate for a mix of tailstock + bed errors.
>
> Indeed. In fact the linear component of the error will tell you how
> far from the _bed_ axis the tailstock is.
> A dial indicator on a long bar clocking round the tailstock bore will
> then tell you something about the spindle axis to tailstock alignment.
> Ideally you would align the tailstock to the bed, and then the
> headstock to the tailstock
> I think. .

Makes perfect sense here. In my case, moving the tailstock up to the
head, puts the tailstock sitting smack in the middle of the wear, so
aligning it there doesn't mean squat. Or does it? The tailstock is
located by the rear v-way, which barring being beaten by the chuck key
too many times, (how many times has it been started in reverse with the
key still plugged in?) should have damned close to factory accuracy even
after 70 years.

And that gives me yet another idea on how to measure this bed wear. Put a
dial in the tool holder, rest its finger on the side of the tailstock,
and just push the tailstock back down the bed with the carriage.
Unwanted carriage motions from wear will show up on the dial.  After
cleaning the flats well and a drop or 3 of vactra on the flats and rear
v-way. I can check that out as soon as I disconnect the offset modules
input and setp it to zero. That should get me pretty close.  And its
simple. That, and moving the nut to the right as far as I can on the
back of the apron so I'm not crushing the left bellows so tightly.

News at 23:00 local?  Maybe.