6082 is a good candidate that machines well if you can get it to fair price.

Den 2018-09-25 kl. 16:51, skrev Gene Heskett:
On Tuesday 25 September 2018 07:19:12 andy pugh wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 11:15, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
This is also true. But that test bar costs money too.
It can stay in stock as useful material. I am talking in terms of a
light cut on a stiff aluminium bar between centres.
What diameter would you consider as being stiff enough, Andy, in say 7075
alloy? (example 3'of2.5"=172 USD)

In 6061?(3'of3"=117.48 USD)

2024?(3'of2.5"=172USD)

6061 is cheaper, but its machinability sucks. Like bubble gum, it must be
kept cold to machine well. Or even to saw.

And I'd likely buy a larger dia just so I could make bigger stuff out of
it later. A 3' piece of 6" is 682 USD and at 100 lbs plus packing would
have to come by freight truck. I'd absolutely have to rig coolant on
everything too. Including buying a power hacksaw I don't have room for.

I have less than a foot left of a 40" long, nominally 6.25"x7" bar I
found at a scrap yard 20 years ago and bought for 50 cents a lb.

I've made lots of stuff out of it, but its packed the flutes full and
broken several hundred dollars worth of cutting tools too. No clue what
alloy, but it sure is difficult stuff to work with as its gummy at room
temps, getting nearly impossible to work long before its too hot to
touch.