https://hackaday.com/2016/06/20/hackaday-prize-entry-diy-automatic-tool-changer/

😉

Martin

________________________________
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:43 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] tool changer with swiveling arm

On Monday 07 January 2019 05:22:53 andy pugh wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 05:07, Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users
>
> <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > I've seen some that have each tool holder coded and read the holders
> > in the chain or carousel as it moves.
>
> In fact the machine in the first post is just such a machine. The tool
> holders all have a mechanical bar-code made of a stack of rings of
> different diameters on the outside of the tool holder body.

I have spent some time daydreaming about a tool changer that changes the
whole ER-11 for use with this gantry mill. Something that changes the
nut, collet and tool all in one swell foop. \

Obviously one would have to motorize with enough force to adequately
tighten and loosen the nut, but spinning the nut on and off with a short
burst of the spindle motor.

Where I hit the rude awakening is in positioning the two wrenches
independently, in order to exert enough force to get an adequate grip on
the tool. I can visualize tickling the motor till the top wrench snaps
onto the spindle double d flats but then possibky pushing the top wrench
into engagement key/spline.  The nut wrench has to be articulated so it
snaps into place later. That would be helped if it was a 12 point
socket. But then we may need 2 or 4x the torque to loosen it as it took
to tighten it.  And because the tool may slip in and out of the collet
while the nut is loose, some means of driving the tool back into the
collet to a fixed projection, then some additional time to measure the
stickout sure seems like a good idea.

That may yet make me learn a cad program. Fugly thought, that.