On Fri, 1 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 20:13:54 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] For PCW

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 06:37:25 -0500
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

On Wednesday 30 January 2019 17:18:09 Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 30 January 2019 15:58:30 Peter C. Wallace wrote:
Now I've got one for you Peter. I have written that file with the
extra pwmgen on pins 5-6 of p2, twice, and --verified it. But the
only place I can see that 2nd pwmgen is in a mesaflash --device
5i25 --readhmid output. It is NOT showing anyplace else.
?????????? Anyplace else, and P2 is all gpio. Jumper on 5i25 set
wrong? I gave it a good 30 seconds dead time before I hit the
power button to reboot, which should have been long enough to
reset it.  So whats next?

Thanks Peter

You probably have the PWMgen disabled in your hal file (in the hm2
driver load line)

Thanks, that was it.

but the 7i76 acts like its not getting
Now, in setting it up in my .hal's, I can get pwmgen.1. out of p2 in
order to drive Jon's pwm-servoamp, and I have setup both pwmgens in
parallel, and I seem to be controlling spindir and spinena, but I am
not seeing the analog out on hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout. Do I need
to apply a ground on tb4-1, and some of the local 12volts to tb4-3
just to demo that its working?  It makes sense but I'd druther be
safe by asking.

Yes, the 7I76(D)s analog spindle control is an isolated potentiometer
replacement device so needs an external 10 or 12V power source (15V
ABS MAX) normally this comes from a VFD

ok, but then how do I enable a path from the 12 volts being fed to ena+
to ena-. ditto 5 volts to dir+, which should from what I'm reading, send
5 volts to the dir- terminal. The two supplies are separate, sharing a
negative common with +12 volts on ena+ but nothing, well 60mv maybe on
either dir- or ena-. The pwmgen.0.0.value is 3.1 and growing very
slowly, identical to pwmgen.0.1.value, and I can see the pwm with the
lalscope at either output. But I've no clue how to verify its getting to
the spindle i/o other than looking at the right gpio pins on the 5i25.
so obviously I do not know what I'm doing

The 7I76 dir and enable outputs are Darlington opto-coupler transistor outputs (+ = C and - = E) They may have as much as 1.5V drop when on but thats it. They are rated 50 mA max so be careful you do not turn them on into a shorted load (they will be stuck on if wired backwards)

Ok, that explains that.

In addition to setting hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinout (to some fraction
of the current scale value) you need hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.spinena set
true to get analog out
It is, set true by  starting the spindle. but no output at spinena>
I can see the other pwmgen.1 on its p2 pin, so routing that to the
pwm-servoamp in the G0704 will not be a problem. But the 6040 has a
vfd and will use the spinout 0-10 volt analogue signal.

What I'm trying to do is set this up so essentially the same bit of
hal stuff works for both machines and only the signal wiring in the
control box is different.

One potential problem might be needing a delay between the enables
and the boot module for the pwm-servo amp in case the opto's in the
isolation are slow, but thats a bridge I'll have to cross when I get
to it. I built the original boot module to bang it a bit harder, and
5 times in each direction, so its probably enough.

Thanks Peter.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)