Thought maybe I'd see if my memory (in the machine, I know /mine/ is
shot)
was getting finicky. And the uptimes on this D525MW board haven't been
that great recently, but I reboot and choose memtest86 from the grub
menu, and it advises the mem is wrong, and reverts to the grub menu in
about 5 seconds.

Run synaptic, see there is a slightly newer version available under a
slightly different name, but installed, it obviously needs someone 100%
familiar with the map available just to run it.

The msg at the top of the screen is wrong address, 0x99100, 0x8F000

And it reverts to the grub menu in about 5 seconds.

Anybody have a clue whats going on?

Thanks all;