On 2/21/19 6:27 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 20 February 2019 17:00:19 Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 20 February 2019 16:37:06 Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:53 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>

wrote:
Thought maybe I'd see if my memory (in the machine, I know /mine/
is shot)
was getting finicky. And the uptimes on this D525MW board haven't
been that great recently, but I reboot and choose memtest86 from
the grub menu, and it advises the mem is wrong, and reverts to the
grub menu in about 5 seconds.

Run synaptic, see there is a slightly newer version available
under a slightly different name, but installed, it obviously needs
someone 100% familiar with the map available just to run it.

The msg at the top of the screen is wrong address, 0x99100,
0x8F000

And it reverts to the grub menu in about 5 seconds.

Memtest boots and runs as the only program on the system; 'revert to
grub' is probably memtest crashing and rebooting the system.

Makes sense.

After giving it a good D&C, even wiped the contacts with contact cleaner,

Do not use contact cleaner for electronics. It's not good in my experience and prohibited in Computer History Museum for good reason.

reset the bios to defaults and rekilled the hypertheading, no change in
anything. Still boots 3.4.9 like it should. Give up, wondering if the
low memory msgs is telling me the cpu cache is dead?  So I give up there
and continue with the new build. write a 5i25-7i76-x2.bit to the
5i25.powerdown reboot,  power up and verify it, good.  The 7i76 with the
same dble male cable I've used for yonks, even try 2 more off the wall
cables, both leds on the 7i76 are lit. w1, w2 right hand position
because I've a 5 volt hooked up for the logic stuffs, and an isolated 15
volt supply on the field power hookups. But the leds are lit normally.
But nothing in dmesg indicates sserial is running, and the exit message
when I try to run linuxcnc -l makes no sense.

  Its as if the hal file has no linkage back to the ini file to get setp
stuff of the [JOINT_0]SCALE values for a setp stepgen.0.position-scale.

And my logins are crippled, can't highlight slide a copy/paste, mouse
clicks comeout as data echo's on the command line.

Started another terminal, logged into it now I can copy/paste
gene@shop:~$ linuxcnc -l
LINUXCNC - 2.8.0-pre1-4590-g584314c
Machine configuration directory
is '/home/gene/linuxcnc/configs/6040-5i25-7i76'
Machine configuration file is '6040-5i25-7i76.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
.
Found file(REL): ./6040-5i25-7i76.hal
./6040-5i25-7i76.hal:107: parameter or pin 'stepgen.0.position-scale' not
found
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
line 107 of that hal:
setp stepgen.0.position-scale [JOINT_0]SCALE

It exists in the ini file.

So something is fubar. memtest86 won't run from grub, claims low memory
is too small, crashes and reboots to grub in 4 secs or so. dmesg looks
pretty normal. Except no hint of the 7i76's presence can be detected.

BIOS may have an option to test the memory. It checks certain addresses to make sure memory is there in the first place.

Educated guesses?

I hmave never seen it behaving this way: even with bad memory I have
only seen it report errors while still running.
This may be actually good news: it's possible that your memory is so
bad that even the tiny region from which memtest runs is hopelessly
corrupt. Did you try re-seating the DIMMs?

Yes, but just 1, 2gig dimm.  Several times. I haven't retrieved the other
box for test parts yet.

Thats this evenings project after i get the missus fed.

Turned into the next days project. Legs/feet played out last night. And I
haven't really learned much. I jacked the cards up a half inch so the
power supplies would fit under the cards with 1/4" to spare & hooked up
the power supplies. Not much use doing anything else till the cards talk
to me.  And the 7i76 is muted.

Just prowling the net. looking for someplace to src a couple sticks of
memory for one of these intel D525MW atom motherboards, and all the
usual businesses have dried up, not willing to talk to a customer unless
you have a business account with them.

What I want is a couple 2Gb sticks of dimm, only 800 mhz so both slow and
old, lappy style, to fit the above motherboard. Where are you folks
getting your stuff these days?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

You still don't know for sure if the memory is bad. Have you swapped DIMMs among themselves to see if the problem moves to different address?

Our local store in San Jose, CA seem to have what you are looking for:

https://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&cat=&query_string=DIMM+memory&nearbyStoreName=false

Surplus stores are disappearing in Silicon Valley so it's not easy to find old components these days. Best other place for electronics is https://anchor-electronics.com they still carry S-100 bus cards and components to build them, so there!

In any case, Gene try to start with the minimal system to test basics: motherboard, PSU, keyboard, video connection, Linux in USB memory or CD (if you have such a drive) is enough to start. Unplug all other interfaces to eliminate their possible interference in troubleshooting steps.

BIOS generates beeps or diodes indicate hardware errors in some cases. Check MOBO manual.

Good luck,

--
Rafael Skodlar