I think you are mixing LinuxCNC HAL nomenclature with CANopen nomenclature.
That could ultimately be very confusing I think.

> 0x1600 - 0x17FF are RPDO pins and end up as input pins.
> 0x1400 - 0x15FF are communication parameters and these may require som
> more thinking.

This example that I posted is for a battery charger.  The 16 bit value at
location 6071:00  on Charger with the address 0x0A refers to the charger
maximum allowed current out to the battery.  There is no physical pin.  The
non-linux world doesn’t refer to this as a pin.
> ###6###,19/03/10,10:56:08,r,0A,1602:01,60710010,( 1618018320) The first two
> bytes go to 0x6071:00
This next parameter could easily be 600100001 since it's a binary ON/OFF
control for the charger.  But if it was only 1 bit wide then the next parameter
would start at bit 17 and go on for 32 bits.  This could be a pin if there was
an enable/disable line on the charger connector.
> ###6###,19/03/10,10:56:11,r,0A,1602:02,60010008,( 1610678280) The next byte
> goes to 0x6001:00
It's easier to waste space and then be able to read the last 4 bytes on a byte
boundary rather than a bit boundary which is why the previous one was 8 bits
wide rather than 1.
The last value is scaled charger output voltage.  Although my display shows it
as Big Endian it's actually transmitted in the CAN frame as Little Endian.
> ###6###,19/03/10,10:56:15,r,0A,1602:03,22720020,( 577896480)  The last 4
> bytes go to 0x2272:00

So once every 1/2 second a message starting with 0x40A shows up on the bus and
everyone sees it.  The Charger and in this case also a small display are the
only ones interested in it.   The charger uses the information to set charge
on/off, voltage and current.  The display grabs the information and shows what
the current charge voltage and max current are set to.

The charger also reports in a different message what it measures for battery
voltage and what the current charge current is and it reports if it's enabled.
That's all identified by the Object Dictionary entries at 18xx and 1Axx.

John