On Thursday 28 March 2019 22:01:39 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 03/28/2019 04:24 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > This one has a PM rotor, and it all runs in the bore of a potted
> > stator, which I assume has a shaded pole lashup for starting. I not
> > shaded pole, then it will run synchronously, either direction. If if
> > runs at all.
>
> Yes, the pumps in our washing machine have a PM rotor, and
> the stator looks a LOT like the old "phonograph" motors, but
> without the shaded pole.  When the AC is applied, the rotors
> vibrate wildly until they manage to jump into synch with the
> field, and so it starts in a random direction.
> They have a 1/4 turn slip coupling between the rotor and the
> pump that allows this vibration start to develop.  Pretty
> crazy scheme.
>
> Jon

There is no such slip coupling in this pump that I felt. The nylon
paddles are firmly attached to the pm rotor.  So I wonder if that has
become frozen from sitting 3 days or so. I've not changed the distilled
water for the rv antifreeze yet. So I'm mentally questioning if the
antifreeze would have an lubricating effect that would restore this slip
by lubricating it.

The water has slowly turned slightly yellow, so there is something
reacting else it would remain clear. This is not purified by osmosis,
but is steam distilled according to the label. When I am next near the
tank, I'll check the waters resistance.

I have a feeling it will be well below a megohm.

If the antifreeze isn't a long term fix, I may resort to seeing if
Culligan will sell me some of their deinizer resin, and bring my return
line back to dump into about a 10" tall tube of 4" on top of the tank
similar to your white swarf catcher/filter. Maybe even bury it in the
tank with a milk or coffee filter to keep the resin in the tube.

When cooling broadcast klystrons, we used up to 30% ethylene glycol in
the cold months, any thicker a mix got so viscous the 15 hp pumps
couldn't maintain the flow, about 70 GPM but that was technical grade
pure stuff since the automotive additives to control corrosion also made
if very low resistance, so there we bled about a gallon a minute off the
high side of the pump and ran it thru a deionizer cartridge on its way
back to the 500 gallon storage tank. When the mix could be read for any
resistance below 10 megohms, it was time to replace the cartridge as
that style was not rechargeable. Cartridges were about $200 ea then, but
once the coolant was in good shape it only took 3 or 4 a year to keep it
that way.  With a decent lid on the tank, makeup water was only a couple
gallons a month. That deionizer setup saved us the cost of replacing all
the brass stuff in the water connections by stretching the replacement
schedule from 6 months to 3 years or more. 2" quick disconnects were
about $120/copy then & there were 4 of them, plus 4 more smaller ones
for the body cooling circuit.

Are any of you old enough to remember a capacitor shortage when OPEC
raised the oil price in the 70's?  I caused some of that, getting deep
into October I couldn't find a barrel of tech grade stuff at any of the
petroleum peddlers until I found a barrel about to be shipped to Sprague
as thats the same stuff used in electrolytic capacitors. It was already
sitting on the dock in Omaha at the Mobile wholesaler.  The last one in
the country, and I conned the Mobile folks into selling it to the state
of Nebraska and shipping it to me at KXNE-tv.  So I caused that
nationwide cap shortage by buying that barrel of tech grade. Mobile, nor
anyone else that winter had stock enough to even keep vehicle radiators
at full 50/50 mix.  The places that sold it were upping the price to
around $12 a gallon. I got that last barrel for $8.50/gallon before it
went clear out of sight.  The year before it was about $2.35/gallon.

Like Paul Harvey was fond of saying, now you have heard the "rest of the
story". ;-)