With a physical connection between the two sides, the gantry cannot get out of
square, aside from a serious mechanical problem. It also frees up a motor
driver for other use or eliminates the need for one driver.
The software is also simpler because it doesn't need to be able to ensure that
the gantry is homed square. One switch per axis, or two if you want a limit
switch at both ends.
I just don't see the point in making the electronics and electrical system more
complex when there's no need for it.

    On Saturday, April 27, 2019, 9:04:46 AM MDT, Leonardo Marsaglia
<ldmarsag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With any rack or rack-like drive a gantry can have zero racking problems
> by connecting the drive on both sides with a shaft.

Gregg, sounds you don't trust too much on having two motors driving the
gantry. I've seen too many machines working this way but I would like to
hear your opinion about that matter. I have zero experience with gantries
so I like to hear all the opinions. I have to say I do like more the two
motors approach but I would like to know what do you think about it.