On Tuesday 14 May 2019 12:03:34 pm John Dammeyer wrote:

> > > But thats for a pi.
> >
> > Yes, and this thread is about a Pi variant
> >
> > --
> > atp
>
> Why is there so much resistance to using the Beaglebone?

Because it actually has very little in common with the intel code.  It
may be a good deal, but it also requires learning all about the care and
feeding of a completely different architecture. At my age, staying
familiar enough with even 3 is a chore, and having first hand experience
with the pi's shortcomings, I'd rather go back to a devil I know better.

So while running this thing with a pi says I'm not allergic to saying
screw you world, its an experience in discovering, and trying to work
around it warts, the biggest one being that internal usb-2 hub thats in
series with all but the spi and radio (wifi) interface.  When someone
comes up with a radio protocol the smartphones can't hack into in
sub-second times then let me know, otherwise the radios in the pi, and
all the radios in the routers and switches are off and will stay that
way at the coyote.den.

>  Or perhaps to say it another way, why would anyone even want to use a
> Pi when the Beagle has 1GHz processor and the two co-processors?

The pi has 2, running at up to 1.4. But the gpu is 1st gen mali, and no
support in the one realtime kernel that almost works.

Can this bbb support at least two dozen or so bi-di gpio's, 4 or 5
stepgens, at least 1 pwm, and at least 3 abx encoders?  Drive a
1920x1280 full color monitor at a frame rate above 5/sec? At what total
cost?

> What is it with the Pi and the closed architecture that makes it more
> attractive?  Just curious.

The closed architecture, and pi foundations relative lack of support are
I find a huge impediment. So IMO it was fun proving it could be done,
but the experiment can come to an end when I have the time to do it over
with something else. and it may as well be a devil I already know.