On Thursday 29 August 2019 14:23:57 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 29 August 2019 13:31:33 Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> > > Yes, you can see page 2 of the 5I25 manual:
> > >
> > > W1 (P2 POWER ) W2 (P3 POWER)
> > > UP             UP                   BREAKOUT POWER ENABLED
> > > DOWN           DOWN                 BREAKOUT POWER DISABLED
> > > (DEFAULT)

And you, Peter, should be happy to know that all the 7i76 needed was a
powerdown reset, the machine seems to be running normally now.  I pulled
the 3 wires hitting TB3 and wire nutted them together, made sure the
jumpers were as below, and linuxcnc -l came up running normally.  So now
I have spare cards that s/b here tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for the
prompt service.

> > Note that you also need to set the 7I76/7I76D in the correct mode:
> >
> > W2 left = gets 5V power from 5I25
> >
> > W2 right = needs external 5V power
> >
> > Non-mesa cards can never use the FPGA supplied 5V option so W1
> > should be down
> >
> > The 7I76s 5V should come from the 5I25 = 5I25 W2 UP   7I76 W2 LEFT
>
> Got that all scribbled on the manuals front pages, plus disconnecting
> my 5 volts from TB3-21&22 so it doesn't feed back into the computer.
>
> Field power should remain the same unless that can confuze things.
> Thats a separate 15 volt supply, not switched, although it could be
> plugged into the power strip that controls all the motor power. Should
> I? I think the boxes line cord will reach.  Maybe, its a scrap.  No
> bets. :)
>
> I think that covers it but dbl-check me.
>
> I'd also point out to Peter that the scale of the drawings in the 7i76
> manual needs to be expanded. The only text on page 52 thats readable
> is the Mesa, all the other lines are so thin they're lost in a
> 1200x1200 printout.  It all looks like its scaled for a readers digest
> sized page, and gets lost on an 8.5x11 page. I can scale it up, but
> forgot to this time.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

 - Louis D. Brandeis