For example.  The board in the machine at the moment generates a Servo Jitter
of 33217 and Base Jitter of 131983.
For the MESA and PP configuration I have:
BASE_PERIOD = 24000
SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

If I understood the document link above correctly I should have set the base to
at least 132000 which would limit my step rate to about 3kHz.  The video board
is a ow profile card that has a DVI connector out and can run to two VGA
monitors.  Really just designed for desktop PC's that need multiple monitors to
display government forms or whatever.  The Lenovo PC and card came from the
government surplus.

Now if I remove the video card and run the latency test for the on board video
I get a Servo Jitter of 351232 and Base Jitter of 418333.

Setting the .ini BASE_PERIOD to 420,000 results in no longer getting the
initial servo message.  Of course now step rates are so severely restricted
that jog on the X axis results in an immediate following error.

I believe that the DC Servos are more forgiving if the step pulses are
occasionally held back since the internal step counter is compared against the
encoder counter and a following error fault by the motor only happens if it
reads more encoder counts than received on the step input.  Probably why with
the video board installed and the initial error that I don't get faults.

And none of that is an issue with the MESA card.
John