On Tuesday 17 December 2019 13:18:10 Eric Keller wrote:

> In the past, I have had a reasonable amount of luck reducing real time
> delays by building a custom kernel.  Not sure if those kinds of gains
> are still possible.  And it's a lot of work unless you are using
> realtime preempt.
>
> As far as Gene's problem with the beep, they are probably using the
> 8051 on the system management bus for that.  I wonder if a sound card
> would have the same problem. I think most beeps can be routed through
> the sound card. Eric Keller
> Boalsburg, Pennsylvania

Probably could be done, but as has been said, this is my house machine,
and newly built and will never cut metal.  I've to had no chance to fine
tune yet, as I am just this afternoon back from a couple days in the
shop, getting new Aortic valve in the top of my heart. It seems to be
working well.

For those that observe Christmas, have a Merry one.

> > > Thats pretty slow john, I'd take that machine to the office and
> > > bring out the office machine.  It might just be faster. :)
> >
> > Yes Gene,
> > I sometimes wonder if there is something else going on.  Something
> > the BIOS settings that makes these two machines so slow.  Processor
> > and memory wise they should be more than adequate.  They weren't
> > expensive as they were used.  But what's to say if I went to COSTCO
> > and bought a new one that I'd be any better off.
> >
> > John

 - Louis D. Brandeis