On Monday 16 December 2019 21:17:40 John Dammeyer wrote:

> > > For example.  The board in the machine at the moment generates a
> > > Servo Jitter of 33217 and Base Jitter of 131983.
> >
> > Thats pretty slow john, I'd take that machine to the office and
> > bring out the office machine.  It might just be faster. :)
>
> Yes Gene,
> I sometimes wonder if there is something else going on.  Something the
> BIOS settings that makes these two machines so slow.  Processor and
> memory wise they should be more than adequate.  They weren't expensive
> as they were used.  But what's to say if I went to COSTCO and bought a
> new one that I'd be any better off.
>
> John

At costco? That would be tossing quarters, and hoping they come back down

General rules of thumb I have observed:

intel cpus are better than equ dated amd's, my old quad core phenom was
phenominally bad at latency-test. 100+ microseconds. New 9th gen 6 core
i5, 4 or 5 microseconds. Till kmail beeps the chassis speaker, then its
200 u-secs.

Nvidia video cards being driven by nvidia drivers are horrible, returning
2 or 3 milliseconds, the nouveau driver may not be as fast for video,
but it doesn't lock out the irq's either, so its actually quite a bit
better. But linux drivers pushing an ATI card were usually best. ATI is
now part of AMD but haven't checked the numbers there in several years.

So far, nothing beats the intel atom powered D-525-MW mobo for good
latency and more than enough cojones even w/o a mesa card to software
step.  But they've been discoed for quite a few years now, so the only
place to get them is ebay, and I'm a little shy about paying 20 to 50
bucks more than new for used. I have mesa 5i25 cards in both of mine
now, with 7i76D daughter cards.

However, I am pleasantly surprised at how well an rpi4b is running my
sheldon lathe.

 - Louis D. Brandeis