On Wednesday 25 December 2019 12:22:53 John Dammeyer wrote:

> > From: Andy Pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> >
> > > On 25 Dec 2019, at 08:32, John Dammeyer <
> > > <mailto:jo...@autoartisans.com> jo...@autoartisans.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > But how do I block the slot so the oil doesn't fall off the edge.
> >
> > Maybe drill a hole normal to the surface and push in a peg. Maybe
> > plastic, possibly iron carefully blended.
>
> Any suggestions on the type of plastic?  Nylon maybe?
>
> Should the hole that connects to the dovetail be normal to the ways or
> the dovetail angle?  Anyone have a Bridgeport missing an X axis at the
> moment that they can check?

I would pay more attention to it intersecting the way surface as high,
gravitywise, as possible so the oil's natural tendency to run downhill
to distribute was exploited. A track in a zig-zag pattern on the wear
surface would be a plus, but should be done to a surface that isn't open
ended when the table is at the end of travel. So the zig-zag pattern is
then in the fixed surface, not in the gib which travels with the table
in most designs. We re not talking about a high degree of oil velocity
negotiating a corner here.

> I do see how the dripping over the edge would put oil onto the moving
> side of the gib and on the other side, the dovetail edge.  But most of
> the oil tends to go there rather than the rest of the way to the blind
> end of the groove.
>
> The oiler videos often show there is a feed pipe at both ends.  Mine
> only has the feed fixture at the one end.   For some reason, there is
> a gib adjustment screw at both ends.

That is more than likely a tapered gib, driving it one way or the other
adjusts the clearance. They, in my G0704 work very well indeed.

> The LHS has the oiler ball
> bearing plug which will be replaced with the single shot oiler pipe.
>

> While the RHS has nothing but this is where the actual gib screw sits.
>  Very odd.  I could put a feed pipe connection here too

Definitely. If the gib moves with the table, bring the feed in thru the
casting face. If the gib doesn't move with the table, put a lengthwise
slot in the gib so oil can get to the wear side and bring it thru the
gib.

These thoughts are more rules of thumb than carved in stone.  Stuff in
the way always wins.

> I've only had the Single Shot Oiler and tubing etc. for about 10
> years.  Project #42. John

I'm not even that close. I don't have the oilers yet. lol.

Merry Christmas John.

 - Louis D. Brandeis