<albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I'd say to anyone re-designing LinuxCNC to keep
> > this picture on your wall.   The new software shoud scale from a
> > small Harbor freight mill to a light's out factory floor.
>
> I don't think that LinuxCNC would be a good starting point for this.
>
> LinuxCNC is what it is. It is a machine controller that runs on a PC.
> Anything else is something else, and it probably doesn't make sense to
> try to make LinuxCNC in to that thing (whatever it is)
>
> If you want a single system that runs your CAD and a web browser and
> that also runs a CNC machine perfectly adequately then you have a
> choice of LinuxCNC or Mach3, and both perform that task perfectly
> adequately.
>
> If you want dedicated realtime hardware running the machines with an
> administrative interface on a separate machine (possibly controlling
> many realtime nodes) then LinuxCNC isn't really a sensible starting
> point for that.
>
> All in my opinion of course.

I can't say as it would be ideal.

OTOH, once we figure out how much bandwidth can be shoved thru an spi
port, the current implementation supposedly supporting 5 channels, it
does seem to me that much more complex operations than I am currently
doing with one spi channel should be possible. I do think, from what I
have observed on my scope, that we could use at least 4 of those
channels if we could write a driver that handled 2 spi data trains in
parallel, moving two 32 bit packets, to/from cards such as the 7i90HD.

There is plenty of the quiet time between packets now with only one spi
in use.

The kernel I'm running on the rpi4 is totally crippled, its stuck in the
on-demand scheduler and somehow I built it with all that write protected
so I can't poke it to change it.  But that rpi4b is running a 1
kilohertz servo thread without showing a single latency overflow in many
hours of uptime, while only running at 850 megahertz.  Huge difference
between the rpi3b, and the rpi4b. I have another kernel built from the
same source but have not put it on a 64G card yet. Not sure what I'm
doing but I think this new kernel is locked in performance mode, at
least 1.7x faster than the one currently running.

 - Louis D. Brandeis