On Sunday 26 January 2020 08:36:03 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:33:29 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Real-time OS for machine controllers

> >> That rather depends on which board it is.
> >> The Mesa FPGA code is open-source, and some people have made their
> >> own Mesa style cards that work with the existing drivers. Also, the
> >> Mesa smart-serial protocol is open source, which allows the STMBL
> >> drive to appear as a smart serial peripheral to a host FPGA card.
> >
> > With all due respect Andy, smart serial is going to have to grow an
> > error correction restart capability. I have had it fail and the only
> > restart is a full, count to ten, powerdown on the whole machine,
> > interface and computer system before it will recover. I've hit this
> > several times.
> >
> > Peter cannot duplicate it but both of my 5i25/7i76D's systems are
> > doing it. Seems to be associated with a 100 millisecond power bump
> > from a substation voltage regulator or something along those lines.
> > Not long enough to reboot any of the computers. I have a shoebox out
> > in the shop building running TLM w/o a ups with a 150 day uptime
> > right now. But it has only a 5i25 & bobs.
>
> With all due repect you seem to be the only one (in about 3500 7I76
> systems) that has this sserial issue. I suspect you may have the 5V
> jumpering wrong or some other generic system issue.

I think so too Peter. But being a CET, I'm in the waiting for the other
shoe to drop mode. Need more clues than I have ATM.

Somehow, I'm leaning toward some theory that an incomplete powerdown when
exiting linuxcnc itself is somehow related. Is shutting off the 5v from
the 5i25 even possible short of moving its jumpers? p2's power is off of
course as its a normal SainSmart bob and not equipt to take parport
cable power so it has its own supply in the interface box, but 5i25-p3
is on, thats been checked. But there could be a cross connection in the
interface box between its 5 volts for the bob on p2, and the 5 volts to
the 7i76D. Is there a jumper that might connect the 5 volts from the 12
volt field power due to a misset jumper in the middle of the 7i76D, and
thats preventing the reset? Unplugging the power to the interface box
doesn't fix it.

IDK, but I'll certainly check the next time I have my hands on the 7i76
docs. Right today I've spent the morning rebuilding my rpi4 stuff and
posting it. Much smaller rt kernel as I turned off everything in the
kernel config that not needed for a pi. Contemplating building a tarball
via the install scripts and just publishing that as it would be 2% of
the size of a built kernel image,  Rarely "nothing" to do here, even if
its just bagging up the bed-pan from the Missus.

> >> The situation with EtherCAT is more complicated.
> >
> > And I think proprietary?

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

> Peter Wallace
> Mesa Electronics
>
> (\__/)
> (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
> (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

 - Louis D. Brandeis