On 2020-02-02 17:00, Jon Elson wrote:
On 2020-02-01 20:46, Jon Elson wrote:
On 02/01/2020 08:35 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
I have been using linuxcnc 2.9.0~Pre0 from sources, run in place. Until today, it has worked, mostly.  Before today, about 2x per week it would freeze and I had to cycle power to get it working.  Now, linuxcnc freezes.

Does it ONLY freeze when LinuxCNC is running?  But, just keep working if you DON'T start LinuxCNC? In that case, the most likely problem is the BASE_THREAD has too short a period.  Try increasing
the BASE_THREAD period in the .ini file and see if that fixes it.

I changed the BASE_THREAD period by a factor of 10x then 100x, with the same result.

The OS seems to run fine.  I did:
> cd RTAI/linuxcnc
> git pull
> cd src
> make clean
> make
> sudo make setuid

All this went OK.  Elapsed time 20 min, or so.

OK, so ONLY your GUI is freezing?  One other thing is if you load a very long and complex toolpath, then the
3D preview window can lock up for a long time.

The hang was on initial linuxcnc startup. No toolpath was loaded. The machine was hung, the clock was not updating, the mouse pointer would not move, the machine did not respond to the keyboard (ctrl-alt-f3, etc), the machine did not respond to pings.

Tom Dean