> On Friday 14 February 2020 02:01:08 andrew beck wrote:
>
> > Chris.  I'm still learning electronics.  Could you expand a bit on
> > this please.
> >
> > Maybe draw a napkin sketch of it.  Sorry to be a bit slow on the
> > uptake
>
> I'm not Chris, but the word quadrature means two signals that change
> state like this at a steady speed
>
> ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    logic +
>     ____    ____    ____    ____    ____signal A, logic -
>
>   ----    ----    ----    ----    ----  logic +
> __    ____    ____    ____    ____    __signal B. logic -

Very common, very common and if I remember correct RS422 circuits may be used
to decode this signal, schmitt triggered inputs might be good.

> This type of encoder signal never skips a count even after millions of
> direction changes. ...

Well, there is usually plenty of noise in power electronics even with
differential input signals schmitt triggered inputs might be needed. Checking
encoder counts at zero pulse is of course a good idea.

> And its cheap to build in hardware or software but
> the  software version will have a speed limit much slower than the
> hardware version, but even that can work on a smallish mill at up to 30
> or so inches a minute, with only a parport breakout board driving the
> machines motors.

The counter in Micro controllers usually have encoder mode for this purpose,
it's cheap though a fast differential receiver may be more expensive than Micro
controller but it's more because they are cheap and not that many dollars or
whatever currency you count.