On Saturday 15 February 2020 06:29:08 N wrote:

> > On Friday 14 February 2020 02:01:08 andrew beck wrote:
> > > Chris.  I'm still learning electronics.  Could you expand a bit on
> > > this please.
> > >
> > > Maybe draw a napkin sketch of it.  Sorry to be a bit slow on the
> > > uptake
> >
> > I'm not Chris, but the word quadrature means two signals that change
> > state like this at a steady speed
> >
> > ----    ----    ----    ----    ----    logic +
> >     ____    ____    ____    ____    ____signal A, logic -
> >
> >   ----    ----    ----    ----    ----  logic +
> > __    ____    ____    ____    ____    __signal B. logic -
>
> Very common, very common and if I remember correct RS422 circuits may
> be used to decode this signal, schmitt triggered inputs might be good.

That comes std when using the $2 convertor to undifferentiate a balance
encoder to a rail to rail ttl signal to be fed to a 5i25.

> > This type of encoder signal never skips a count even after millions
> > of direction changes. ...
>
> Well, there is usually plenty of noise in power electronics even with
> differential input signals schmitt triggered inputs might be needed.
> Checking encoder counts at zero pulse is of course a good idea.

That noise drops into the millivolt range if a single bolt ground system
is used. Said differently in a condescending tone of voice, if you have
more than 100 millivolts of noise anyplace you look with a scope, your
ground system system is in need of help, probably a ground loop
someplace. Grounding a cable shield at both ends would be a prime
candidate.

> > And its cheap to build in hardware or software but
> > the  software version will have a speed limit much slower than the
> > hardware version, but even that can work on a smallish mill at up to
> > 30 or so inches a minute, with only a parport breakout board driving
> > the machines motors.
>
> The counter in Micro controllers usually have encoder mode for this
> purpose, it's cheap though a fast differential receiver may be more
> expensive than Micro controller but it's more because they are cheap
> and not that many dollars or whatever currency you count.

 - Louis D. Brandeis