On Monday 17 February 2020 17:44:01 Sam Sokolik wrote:

> I cadded them up..  The slots in the bracket was enough to get decent
> quadrature
>
> http://electronicsam.com/images/greenmachine/20190401_145539.jpg

Maybe I'm dumb but the gear teeth move across the face, not the end. The
index is turned end for end so it hangs beyond the teeth and is sensing
a 1/8" by 5/8" long piece of nail ground flat on both ends and gooped to
the side of a tooth so it won't get knocked off by a backgear tooth when
its engaged, which with a vfd is essentially never. I'll see if I can
get a pix after we've eaten.

Thanks Sam.

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020, 3:59 PM Les Newell <les.new...@fastmail.co.uk>
wrote:
> > They should be any multiple of the tooth spacing plus half a tooth
> > spacing.
> >
> > Your tooth spacing (pi x diameter) / number of teeth = 0.314"
> >
> > So the available spacings between the sensor are:
> >
> > (0.314 x 0) + (0.314 / 2) = 0.157
> >
> > (0.314 x 1) + (0.314 / 2) = 0.471
> >
> > and so on...
> >

> > You won't get a perfect quadrature but it should be good enough.
> >

> > Les
> >
> > On 17/02/2020 21:20, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > Given that the bull gear in this lathe is exactly 6" in diameter
> > > at the outer face of the teeth;
> > >
> > > Given that it has 60 teeth;
> > >
> > > Given that the ATS-667's are mounted so as to clear the teeth by
> > > about 10 to 15 thou and they are slightly thicker than 5/32" inch.
> > >  That would add about 3/16" to the radius of the arc they are
> > > mounted in, or 3/8" to the diameter;
> > >
> > > The mounting bracket currently has a slot per ATS-667 with around
> > > 1/16" of sideways motion per pocket;
> > >
> > > How far apart are they to be to output a good quadrature signal?
> > >
> > > Mounting them with JBKwik weld seems to be a lot less forgiving
> > > because its not possible to move them a few thou to fine tune like
> > > it was when using relatively flexible goop.
> > >
> > > Or do I need to redesign the bracket to make one holding slot
> > > adjustable somehow?
> > >
> > > Thanks all.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett

 - Louis D. Brandeis